Saturday, September 17, 2011

5 Facts The Students Don't Tell Their Yoga Teacher


I just finished reading the article 15 Facts That Your Yoga Teacher Won’t Tell You on the Business & Health website and it led me thinking about what some facts the students don’t tell the yoga teacher.  Here are 5 facts that I remember hearing from my fellow practitioners.

1.  I can’t get what you are saying…..
    
This is because your voice is too soft or your accent is too strong or I am not familiar with the name of the pose in Sanskrit.

2.  Why I am at the back of the class…

I am not familiar with the poses, so I need to copy what the person in front is doing.

3.  I need you to demonstrate the pose…

As everyone is doing the pose and I am too shy to ask, I will just fake it.

4.  Can you just give instructions on how to do the pose instead of doing all the poses throughout the class?

I have problem in having to keep looking up to see what you are doing as I can’t hear your instructions clearly.   Can't you just demonstrate those difficult poses or when you want to introduce a new pose? 

5.  Your sequence sucks…

There is no flow from one pose to the other and having to do eight standing poses in a row for the right side before doing the left side is too much.

So, dear teachers, we hope that you will look around and pay more attention. If you see us struggling in your class or if you don’t see the student come to your class again, you know what happened.

"The teacher is no longer merely the-one-who-teaches, but one who is himself taught in dialogue with the students, who in turn while being taught also teach" - Paulo Freire
   



1 comment:

Yogadawg said...

Exactly, especially the one leg balance poses going on forever on one side...oh my aching knee.....