Saturday, January 15, 2011

Open The Mind

This week marks the opening of My Yoga Sanctuary on 11 January 2011, the new studio where Azmi is teaching and where I will be continuing my yoga journey but I will have to wait for my elbow to be completely healed before I can go for classes there.   For someone who thrives on going to classes, this has been a frustrating week for me as  I was told by my doctor that I should not put any pressure on my elbow if I want to have a speedy recovery, so going to classes is out for me.   

I know that yoga is not about the asanas but not being able to do a full vinyasa practice has resulted in so many tight spots in my body.   Meanwhile, I have managed to find some video sequences that help to relieve some of the tightness in my body.   I love this 11-minute Kundalini Yoga sequence on Open The Mind from Yoga Today which was featured in The Everything Yoga Blog.



I have also signed up for Yoga Journal’s 21-day Yoga Challenge and have been receiving the newsletter emails on the daily challenge sequence. Watching the videos have given me more insights on the poses which will help me when I can go back to my full practice. I have customized some poses from the videos to suit my condition in my self-practice.   I am also hoping to take my practice deeper during this period by listening to the audio recordings on meditations, pranayama and philosophy featured in the 21-day Yoga Challenge.

"These days, my practice is teaching me to embrace imperfection: to have compassion for all the ways things haven’t turned out as I planned, in my body and in my life – for the ways things keep falling apart, and failing, and breaking down. It’s less about fixing things, and more about learning to be present for exactly what is." - Anne Cushman

No comments: